Strong field at Sunway Sitges Chess Festival
Starting rank (top 36)
Full list here:
Chess-Results Server Chess-results.com - V Sunway Sitges International Chess Festival - Group A
Chess-Results.com is a powerful and dedicated server only for chess-results. The tournament archive of chess-results.com contains more than 40.000 tournaments from around the world.
Sunway Chess Festival
The Hotel Sunway Playa Golf & Spa in Sitges is pleased to announce that it will organize the V edition of the International Chess Festival Sunway Sitges, from 13.12.2018 – 23.12.2018, with more than € 25,000 in prizes to distribute among 100 players .
The breach of any of the general rules listed below, or of those specific for each of the tournaments, may result in the loss of a game or even in the dismiss from the Festival, as well as in the loss of any right to cash prizes or trophies, or the refund of any amount that the player could have paid (i.e. registration fee).
- Chess tournaments that take place during the International Chess Festival Sunway Sitges shall be governed by these rules of play, by the Laws of Chess and by current FCE, FEDA and FIDE regulations, interpretations and supplements included.
- Participation in any of the Festival tournaments implies the knowledge and tacit acceptance of these rules of play.
- It will be the responsibility of each player to be assigned to the correct group of play in each of the tournaments that he or she decides to play. Also, the player must ensure that his or her details that appear in the various registration lists and rankings are correct, and should inform the Festival Organizers in the event of a mistake. If a player is found out to be not assigned to the correct group or to have provided some incorrect information deliberately, he or she will immediately be expelled from the Festival.
- The winners (or both players in the event of a draw) will be responsible for communicating the results of their games to the referees. If the outcome of a game has not been notified to the referee team, both players will be considered to have lost that game. The original form is property of the organization, the players having the obligation to deliver it signed and with the correct result to the referee at the end of the game. Do not leave the sheets lying on the table.
- The relocation of the pieces and board to their original position will also be responsibility of the players, once the game is finished. The elements necessary for the running of the games cannot be removed from the game halls.
- Players agree to attend the game halls with proper clothes and to have a correct and sportsmanlike behavior.
- Smoking neither electronic cigarettes is not allowed in game halls nor throughout the hotel premises, except for its outdoor terraces.
- Entering mobile phones in the game halls is forbidden unless they are turned off and are kept off for the duration of the game. Entry into the gambling halls of any electronic device that could be used to provide some help to chess players will not be permitted. The player authorizes referees to check if the phone is off in case they have any doubt on this point.
- Players may not leave the game halls without justification or permission of a referee while in their games. In particular, they cannot go to their hotel rooms or access the Analysis Room before completing their games.
- The Festival Organization, consensually with referees, reserves the right to assign game rooms the way it deems most appropriate, being able to isolate any games during any round of any tournament.
- The Organizers reserve the right to make some small specific modification in tournaments’ schedules, in order to improve their development. Also, under referees’ advice, the Organization may increase or decrease the number of rounds of any Festival’s tournament. Although expected to be an improbable circumstance, if any changes occur, players will be notified well in advance.
- Participation in any of the tournaments of the Festival implies acceptance by the player that his or her personal details and games’ information may be published in different media that the Organization considers desirable for better publicity of the event. These means include, for example, registration lists (paper and online in different media), match results, tournament rankings, retransmissions, etc.
- Players are not allowed to talk to anyone during the dispute of their departure.
- It is made known to all the players of the Festival that in all the tournaments there will be an anti-cheating commission that will ensure that they do not occur, and in the case of occurrence, will apply the Anti-Trap regulations of the International Federation (FIDE), for this type of infractions.
Tie-breaks will be valid both for classification purposes as well as for obtaining trophies and cash prizes. Therefore, no trophies and cash prizes will be divided among the players who have tied points.
The tie-break system for all Festival’s tournaments will be as follows and in the following order:
- Buchholz FIDE least the worse result.
- Total Buchholz FIDE.
- Particularly among players still tied, should they have played against each other.
- Raffle in the presence of the Competition Committee.
For the purposes of calculating the Buchholz systems, the “virtual opponent” method will apply for games not played.
In the case of group A, once the previous tiebreaker systems have been applied, a provisional general classification will be available. However, if there is a tie to points between some of the first 4 classified players in that provisional classification, a match-play tiebreaker will be applied to obtain the final general classification.
This match-play tie-break will consist of an eliminatory system (semifinal and final if there are 3 or 4 players tied) among the players who have finished the tournament with the same number of points (no matter if the champion must be determined or not), in the following way:
- 2 blitz games with a rhythm of 5 minutes + 3 seconds per play (5 '+ 3 "), alternating colors.
- In case of a tie, a blitz game "Armaggedon", with 6 minutes for the player with white and 5 minutes for the player with black. The color of each player will be raffled and, in case of draw, the player who has played with black will win.
Disabled players can choose whether or not to play tie-breakers. In case of not doing so, they will get the prize they would have gotten in the provisional classification, without applying these tie-brakes.
- The first 4 players tied to points: 2 semifinals and final to elucidate the positions first to fourth.
- Champion decided but 3 players tied to points in the second to fourth places: 1 semifinal (third and fourth) and one final (the second would go directly to that final).
- 2 players tied for points in the first 2 places, and 2 tied for points in the third and fourth places: 2 finals, one to determine the champion, and another to determine the third place.